Skip to main content

HDS Disability Accommodations

The University of Colorado Boulder provides reasonable housing and dining accommodations to residents with disabilities (students, employees and family members of employees). A disability is defined by law as a mental or physical impairment that substantially limits an individual in one or more major life activities. Major life activities include but are not limited to walking, eating, speaking, sleeping, hearing, seeing and concentrating. Housing accommodations are determined on a case-by-case basis, founded on documented need.

Housing Accommodations

If you submit disability information on your housing contract or through the housing portal after you have arrived, we will email you additional instructions regarding the process and how to complete the “Request for Housing Accommodation Form.” This form includes a section that is completed by the resident and a section completed by a licensed medical professional.

When requesting accommodations you will be asked to identify one of the categories below that best describes your need:

  • Room/apartment modifications
  • Room/apartment reassignment
  • Dietary limitations – including anaphylaxis food allergies
  • Visual/hearing impairments (e.g. flashing fire alarm, light up door bell, etc.)
  • Assistance/emotional support animal

Food Preferences and Intolerances

While we understand students may have food preferences and intolerances, please be aware that these conditions within themselves do not qualify as disabilities under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and will not result in being removed from the meal plan as an ADA accommodation. Students whose preferences or intolerances do not qualify as a disability may wish to discuss their dietary needs with Campus Dining Services. To arrange a meeting with our registered dietician, please email us at Students who do have dietary restrictions which meet the definition of an ADA qualifying disability may follow the housing and dining accommodation process. 

Academic-Related Accommodations

For academic-related accommodations, please visit Disability Services. For questions pertaining to service animals, please visit the Office of Institutional Equity and Compliance website. If you have additional questions regarding housing and dining accommodations, please contact Occupancy Management at 303-492-6673.

Have a Question?

Please add details of your question above.